Our Previous Bishops
The Previous Archbishops of the Archdiocese of Sydney
The Predecessor Auxiliary and Co-adjutor Archbishops
of the Archdiocese of Sydney
- Charles Henry Davis OSB, 1848-1854. Also Titular Bishop of Maitland-Newcastle.
- Joseph Higgins, 1889. (Appointed Bishop of Rockhampton 1889).
- Michael Sheehan, Co-adjutor Archbishop 1922-1937.
- Eris Norman Michael O'Brien, 1948-1953. (Appointed Bishop of Canberra-Goulburn 1953.)
- Patrick Francis Lyons, 1950-1956. (Appointed Co-adjutor Bishop Sale 1956. Bishop 1957-1967.)
- James Patrick Carroll, 1954-1965. Retired 1984. Died 1995.
- James Darcy Cardinal Freeman, 1957-1969
- Thomas William Muldoon, 1960-1986.
- Edward Francis Kelly MSC, 1969-1975. (Appointed Bishop of Toowoomba 1975.)
- Edward Bede Cardinal Clancy AC, 1973-1978. (Appointed Archbishop of Canberra-Goulburn, 1978-1983.)
- David Cremin, 1974-2005. Retired.
- Patrick Laurence Murphy, 1977-1986. (Appointed Bishop of Broken Bay 1986. Retired)
- Bede Vincent Heather, 1979-1986. (Appointed Bishop of Parramatta 1986. Retired)
- John Edward Heaps, 1981-1992. Retired 1992. Died 2004.
- Geoffrey James Robinson, 1984-2004. Retired.
- Peter William Ingham, 1993-2001. (Appointed Bishop of Wollongong 2001.)
- Julian Porteous, 2003-2013
- Anthony Fisher, 2003-2010
- Peter A Comensoli, 2011-2013